Oakland County East After School Enrichment Programs
Our After School Enrichment Programs are a unique, fun-infused, STEM/STEAM learning fun! Each session takes place on a unique thematic island and consists of 4 to 12 action-packed hour-long afterschool classes. Every island experience is one of a kind and kids come back session after session to experience the magic once again – it’s no surprise we have a 90% repeat customer rate!
If Challenge Island is not in your child’s Oakland County East School yet, reach out to us so we can introduce our After School Program to your school’s administration.
School Admins and PTA/PTO:
If you would like Challenge Island’s After School Programs to come to your Oakland County East school, please reach out to us so we can provide you with more information.
More About Our After School Program
When kids enter the Challenge Island classroom, they are transported to a cross-curricular learning environment worlds away from the regular school experience. The ambience feels positively party-like as our adventurous tribes tackle high-level thinking challenges at whimsical weekly destinations like Pet Spa (STEAM Tank Entrepreneur), Medusa’s Pet Rock Playground (Mythology Island), Wizardry Academy (Hollywood Island) and Kenyan African Safari (Challenge Island World Tour). Kids count down the seconds until Challenge Island day rolls around!
- STEAM education, problem-based learning, and critical 21st Century Skills are at the heart of every Challenge Island Afterschool Class. But we don’t stop there. Our proprietary curriculum seamlessly intertwines ELA, STEM, History, Social Studies, Arts, Geography and much more into one thrilling Island adventure!
- Each session of Challenge Island takes place on a unique thematic island and consists of 4 to 12 action-packed hour-long afterschool classes. Every island experience is one of a kind and kids come back session after session to experience the magic once again – it’s no surprise we have a 90% repeat customer rate!
- Challenge Island students work with tribes full of friends on hands-on creative problem solving adventures. Core socio-emotional 21st century skills like collaboration, communication, and compromise are fostered and bonds and friendships are built in the process.
- Our child-driven learning approach makes Challenge Island an enriching and developmentally appropriate experience for a wide span of ages from preschool through middle school and beyond.
|“My daughter participated in Challenge Island’s Time Machine Island Course this past semester and I have to say that it has taken learning and fun to a new level. Over Tuesday night dinners, the Challenge Island activities are the topic of conversation from my 6 year-old. Her interest in the combination of science, math and history is especially encouraging to see as we know from the data that we have to do more to encourage girls’ interest in these subject matters. I am a very strong believer in the power and importance of Challenge Island.”
– Heidi G. – Challenge Island Parent
In School Field Trips FAQ’s
What grades are afterschool field trips appropriate for?
Students in grades kindergarten through 8th grade can participate in our afterschool programs.
How many students can participate in a single afterschool class?
We typically have between 6 and 20 students in our afterschool classes. For a larger or smaller group, please contact us to discuss details.
Can we mix multiple grade levels into the same afterschool class?
Yes! For example, we can host students from grades K-5 in the same afterschool class, or we can group grades 6-8 together into a “middle school edition” class. We typically group students of similar ages to work together in “tribes” of 4-6 students, and we work with each tribe to present the challenges and information to be appropriate at their level.
Can you do afterschool programs virtually?
Yes, we can hold afterschool programs where students participate from their homes. This is a great opportunity for students to make new friends from other schools and communities!
Where do students get the materials they need to build the challenges?
For an onsite program, we will provide all the materials that the students need. For a virtual program, we have options to either provide & deliver materials to each student, or we can provide a list of common materials that the students can “scavenger hunt” from around their house.
Who do you work with to set up an afterschool program?
We can work with community education organizations or directly with schools or PTA/PTOs to set up a program. For virtual programs, we can even work with you to share programs across multiple schools or communities, to help get enough students together to have a great experience.
Can we pick the topics that would be covered in the program?
Yes, we have many different themed areas that you can choose from for your program.
How many classes do students have to sign up for at a time?
We can set this up however you wish. Our themed programs consist of 4-12 classes, so we can set up a multiweek program of any length, and we can set up signup options so that students can sign up for just the classes they are interested in, or for the entire program.
Where We’ve Been and Where You Can Find Us
In Person Afterschool programs:
- Oakwood (in Brandon School District in Ortonville)
- Quarton (Birmingham)
- Harlan (Birmingham)
- Pierce (Birmingham)
- Beverly (Birmingham)
- West Maple (Birmingham)
- Waterford and Clarkston Community Education
- Delta Kelly
- Long Meadow
- North Hill
- Rochester Hills Christian Church
- St. John Lutheran
- University Hills
- Faith Home Team (homeschool cooperative)
- West Maple
- Detroit Country Day
- Beacon Tree